Ngā whetū rīwai
Make potato star chips
Ngā kai a Matariki — The food supplies of Matariki
< Back to all activities
Celebrate Matariki with some shared kai.
You will need
- 3 medium rīwai (potatoes)
- Oil spray, or 3 tablespoons of olive/canola oil
- A flat oven dish
- A star-shaped playdough cutter (or a small knife)
- Paper towels or a clean tea towel
What to do
- Preheat your oven to 200°C bake/fanbake.
- Wash your rīwai (with skins on) then slice them about 1cm thick.
- Lay the rīwai slices onto paper or a clean tea towel and pat dry.
- Make shapes from the slices using the star shape cutter (or small knife).
- Shake salt onto the oven tray so the surface is lightly covered.
- Place the shapes flat on the oven tray.
- Lightly sprinkle or spray with oil.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with your favourite sauce!