Learn some te reo greetings
Au ai tū au ora — If it is spoken it will live
< Back to all activities
Speaking it is a vital way to express our Māori culture and maintain our pride and identity as a people.
Te reo greetings
Here are some simple greetings you can practice:
- Tēnā koe - Hello (to one person)
- Tēnā kōrua - Hello (to two people)
- Tēnā koutou - Hello (to more than two)
- Kia ora - Hi (to one or more people)
- Kia ora kōrua - Hi (to two people)
- Kia ora koutou - Hi (to more than two)
- Mōrena - Morning
- Ata mārie - Good morning
- Ahiahi mārie - Good afternoon
- Pō mārie - Good night/evening
Try to use these greetings and learn a new kupu (word) every day.
Practice at home with your whānau.