Nāu te rourou, nāku te rourou, ka ora ai te iwi — With your basket and my basket we can feed everyone
< Back to all activities
At New Brighton pier you can catch mullet, red cod, kahawai and even crabs yourself using a handline.
What you need
- A handline with hook and sinker (available at The Warehouse)
- Fish bait (available at most supermarkets)
- A chilly bin and small fold up chair
- A pōtae (sun hat) and sunscreen
- A backpack with some kai and a warm top
What to do
- Make your way to the end of the pier and find a space to fish from.
- Get out your handline and bait the hook, then hold tight to the other end and throw the hook as far as you can into the sea.
- Be patient – have a kōrero – then when you feel a pull on the line, slowly pull it towards you.
- If you’ve a caught a fish (and it’s big enough to keep), unhook it from your line and put it in your chilly bin.
- When you get home clean, scale, and gut your ika ready to cook and share with your whānau.
Don’t forget to follow the New Brighton Pier Fishing Rules!