We've been flooded by requests about how to support our Muslim community here in Ōtautahi.
Most immediate needs in regards to goods and volunteers have now been met, but below is a list of some of the ways you can show your support in the weeks to come (thanks to Benefaction for compiling many items on this list!)
'Like' the Christchurch Victims Organising Committee Facebook page
Click here to go to the page. Keep an eye on
the page as they provide updates as to what goods are needed. Examples
include food, water, sanitary products, vehicles, etc.
'Like' the My Fathers Barbers Facebook page
Click here to go to the page. The crew from My Fathers Barbers are putting in a massive effort on the ground and regularly update their Facebook page requesting additional resources.
Donate vegan or halal non-perishable foods
Shakti is working to support people who have been affected by Friday's events. They are being well looked after by existing governmental and community efforts at this time but would like to put together something that will extend beyond the next couple of weeks. Any vegan or halal non-perishable foods, including bags of rice, Asian spices, lentils and pulses, tinned vegetables and meats would be appreciated. These can be brought to Christchurch Community House, 301 Tuam Street.
A word from the NZ Blood service...
"We would like to extend our gratitude to everyone who has contacted us in the wake of the tragic events in Christchurch. Blood stocks are healthy. We will be following up with those who signed up, to book appointments. For anyone wishing to become a blood donor – please check your eligibility and complete this form on our website and we will contact you"
Here are some options for making donations to support the victims and families:
- United for Christchurch Mosque Shootings – a crowdfunding campaign on LaunchGood.
- Victim Support Givealittle page.
- Our People, Our City Fund – set up by The Christchurch Foundation, as requested by the Mayor. You can donate at most major banks, or through this bank account: The Christchurch Foundation / 15-3976-0091104-080
'Like' the Christchurch Victims Organising Committee
Click here to go to the page. As at 12.30pm today, the Committee didn't need anymore volunteers. However, it pays to keep an eye on the page as this may change. You can also register your interest in volunteering here.
Join Collaborate's hub for volunteers on Facebook.
Just click this link and then click 'Join Group'. They also have a ‘sign-up’ form for people keen to volunteer. Click here to fill it out.
Stand up to racism and hate
- On social media, report any racist or hate messages - commenting on a post will only make it appear in more people's news feeds, so best to follow this guide on how to report a post
- Challenge destructive narratives by others - Amnesty International have created this guide on how to tell people they're being racist
- For tamariki, check out our Sparklers activity, Upstander Plan! It covers everything tamariki need to know about being an Upstander to bullying.