Tips for sleeping well
We all know that having a good night’s sleep is one of the best things we can do to recharge our batteries.
Are you getting enough sleep? Take this quiz and see…
And while getting a good sleep isn’t always as easy as it sounds, here are some things you can try to help.
- Go to bed at the same time each day.
- Get up from bed at the same time each day.
- Get regular exercise each day.
- Try to spend some daytime outdoors or in natural light.
- Make the bedroom as restful as possible (it’s a good idea to charge your phone in another room!)
- Try not to engage in stimulating activity (eg watching the Red Wedding on Game of Thrones) just before bed.
- If you can’t fall asleep in a reasonable time, perhaps 20-30 minutes, try getting up and do something boring in another room.
For more ideas, check out these handy sleeping tips from the Canterbury DHB.
Earthquakes and other disruptors...
If you or your kids are struggling to get decent sleep due to stress or earthquake activity, you may also find these tips from Cantabrians useful.
- "Turn a scary night into a fun adventure by having a big sleep-out on mattresses in a clear space." Mel
- "If you're after extra peace of mind, keeping an emergency bag with warm clothes, your wallet and other essentials by the door can help." Dennis
- Do what's needed to feel safe at night - whether that means listening to relaxing music before bed or sleeping in the same room. You need sleep to function." Rachel