Make a mobile
From driftwood and shells
He ringa rau e oti ai — Many hands make light work
< Back to all activities
Showcase items from te moana (the sea) by making your own driftwood mobile.
You will need
- 2 straight pieces of driftwood (arms length or smaller)
- String and scissors
- Shells with holes in them
- Optional: feathers, beads, small pieces of driftwood and seaweed.
What to do
- Tie your driftwood together to form a large ‘X’.
- Clean your shells and decorations with water and a cloth.
- Divide your items into four equal groups, then arrange each group into a straight line on the table.
- Tie each line/group onto a new strand of string, so you have four in total.
- Fasten these strands onto the four ends of your driftwood X.
- Then add a hanging string to the centre section, and find somewhere cool to hang it!