There’s a whole lot of free and affordable parenting support available in Otautahi –whether it’s something big or small, or simply a desire to connect with parents just like you, there’s something for everyone.
CINCH has an extensive database of available services who can help with parenting – from running parenting programmes to providing counselling - the whole gamut!
Parent Help provides a free national parenting helpline that is available from 9am to 11pm – seven days a week (0800 568 856).
Some organisations All Right? works with include:
By parents, for parents
- The Under 5’s Collective –their Facebook page and website will keep you up to date with all things under 5 in Christchurch.
- Who Let The Dads Out – A monthly playgroup, Saturday mornings 10-11.30am
Parenting courses are a great way to meet other parents and just talk parenting. Available courses include:
- The Parenting Place (Toolbox Parenting Courses)– across all ages
- Incredible Years - ages 3 – 8 (look at Canterbury: these courses are run by different organisations, but they are the same course)
- Positive Parenting (Barnardos)
- Triple P - The Dovedale Clinic offer the Triple P programme in Canterbury. You can also do the course online.
Find out about all the parenting programmes run by the Dovedale Clinic.
Many parenting groups and courses are run by local providers as and when needed, so it is always worth contacting them to see what they have coming up.
Specific services for young people
- Bounce(The Red Cross) - worth looking at and making contact with if you or your young person want more information and support.
- 298 Youth Health – These guys are world famous in Canterbury for supporting young people
- The Collaborative - oodles of information and research about youth
- Common Ground - aims to ensure parents, whanau and friends of young people have easy access to information that will help them support young people to manage hard times and enjoy positive mental health and wellbeing.